8.20.2012

Yardwork and Such

Whew. I tell ya what, I hate me some yardwork. Our flowers and bush-things look like sh awful. I didn't get enough water to them last month.

Lazy, Katie? Mmmm ... sometimes. But, I'll blame this on the drought.

Anyway, something got into me today. I donned my four year old, gently used yard gloves, searched mere minutes for the clippers and got to it. Kinda. You see, I have an embarrassing secret. I'm kind of a princess. So, the great outdoors are not really my thing.

Sweat? But ... ummm, I already showered.

Sunshine? This isn't the pool though ...

Bugs? Ick. No thanks.

I realize it's unattractive. My apologies. I also realize that we are talking about minor yardwork, not a week-long camping expedition. But hey, that's why I said this was an "embarrassing secret."

Anyway, I overcame. Breaking through the  princess mold wasn't easy, but the yard looks great better. And, ya know what? I got sweaty, but I can shower again tomorrow tonight. My tan got a much needed pick-me-up and mostly I just saw grasshoppers that were copulating. Make love, not war my little, green friends.

Where I got my disregard for yardwork is a mystery. My parents thoroughly enjoy caring for their many flowers and bush-things. They even have a garden. Somehow, they managed to keep everything greeny-green and looking good despite the drought. I suspect that my dad enjoys watering the lawn and garden with the hose, and that my mom just can't get enough of trimming her roses. The hard work is no compromise for them. So, when they were awarded with "Yard of the Month" they were thrilled.


Of course, I am totally joking.

They really did get "Yard of the Month", but come on, my dad enjoys tinkering with the sprinkler system and allowing the lawn care service to mow. My mom enjoys the yard dude, Jose, manicuring the landscaping. So, on this slow family news day I could not resist the urge to poke a little fun at them.

I do, however, have to say so I don't get in trouble that my dad does care for the garden and mow the back yard. And, my mom does water her flowers and bush-things. And, just to cover myself completely I'm sure they do many, many other things to make the yard amazing that I am simply forgetting to mention or unaware of. I assure you.

Love you M&D.

No comments: