8.18.2012

Kock Family Olympics

We were feeling the Olympic spirit last week, so we went with it. Caden and I set up events in the backyard. Ryan and I served as officials. We lit the Olympic tiki torch. Trashy, I know.


It was fun. Until the opening ceremonies were over. What we failed to realize was our kids are OUR KIDS. Competitiveness runs through their veins. We might as well have held a cage match.



Basketball Toss


Everyone cried at some point. Even Ryan. Just kidding. Not Ryan. Or me. Or Bode. So, I guess just half of us.


Caden passing Chloe in the long race. Chloe yelling at him.

I did, however, witness some impressive strategy. At the start of the short race, Ali's first move was to shove Caden into the swing set. While I felt for Caden, I silently bursted with pride.

Target engaged, locked and hit. Or something like that.

Caden won anyway though, much to Ali and Chloe's dismay. So, they screamed and cried. Our neighbors must think we have serious problems.

Ali quit the long race as soon as Caden took the lead. She went inside and slammed the door. Chloe cried halfway through, but finished strong. Internally I cried, too.

Caden got disqualified from the frisbee toss because he threw it out of bounds about 19 times and we were sick of running after the damn thing. Ryan was upset with Caden because he had a bad attitude after he go DQ'ed. But honestly, Ryan had a BA, too. Whattayado?

There were some highlights. They all had fun long jumping into the sandbox. And, my personal favorite was the floor routine. Even though Caden refused to participate.


Long jump!

Not a great pic, but Caden took his long jumping very seriously.
Floor routine


Hilarious

When it was time to wrap it up we weren't sure who to give the gold. I only had one "medal" which was a huge mistake. So, we gave it to Bode since he just played nice while everyone else participated. And then all hell broke loose. The whining and crying that ensued was relentless.

Bode with his "gold medal".
It was upsetting because the intention was to have a fun night with the kids. Well, no good deed goes unpunished my friend. In four years our country's greatest athletes will be in Rio. However, my little athletes will have their butts parked on the couch because Kock Family Olympics WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN! :)




No comments: