9.13.2010

Boy oh Boy!

Our little family had quite a weekend - and it grew by one tiny person! Friday seems like an eternity ago, but I am going to try to recount the last few days for you.

I was scheduled to have a c-section on September 14th - which is one week before my actual due date. The doctors do this in order to avoid c-section mamas going into risky labor (and so they can get their big fat check after they get to deliver you). Well, of course our son was having none of that.

I started having contractions on Friday morning. I figured they would go away, so I went about my business trying to get the house and kids ready for the arrival of their new brother in a few days. Well, the contractions got stronger and stronger, so Ryan ended up taking me to the hospital for monitoring.

We got there around 2:50. The nurse hooked me up and left the room. About an hour later a nurse came in. Followed by another. And another. They told us they were going to do a c-section and it was going to take place fast. They weren't kidding.

A few painful contractions, one set of clothes ripped off, nine thousand scribbled signatures, and one spinal block later Bode Joseph Kock (pronounced Boe-Dee & Joseph after Ryan's grandpa) was born at 4:26. I wish I could say the scary part is over, but it's not.

Bode inhaled meconium while being delivered. Meconium is basically feces in the womb. So, obviously this isn't sanitary and it puts him at risk for inflammation in his lungs and infection. He was having trouble getting enough oxygen and they admitted him to NICU.

Thankfully, we have wonderful friends and family praying for him. Bode is getting better everyday. This morning they removed most of the bells and whistles he was hooked up to. He has to receive antibiotics a few times each day, but if all goes well we will be able to bring him home on Friday.

I will update with pictures and hopefully more good news sometime soon - he looks a lot like Caden and A LOT like Ryan. :)

No comments: