Last week I went downstairs to exercise (a rare occurrence these days) and found a slow drip coming through the ceiling. I did what I could to dry up the carpet and called Ryan. He cut out the drywall on the ceiling and found a lot of water. It took us a while but we found the leak coming from our fridge in the kitchen. It had leaked right under the ugly vinyl kitchen floor and down through the basement ceiling. What. A. Mess.
All I could think was we are having a baby in a month and this is going to seriously dent our savings. I could feel the cloud of stress moving in as I watched Ryan tear out our ugly vinyl floor that night. Could the timing of this little catastrophe be any worse? Will insurance cover it? Is our house growing mold? Ugh.
A couple days later we received our check for damages from the insurance company. And just like that a ray of sunlight broke through the stress cloud as it dawned on me. I get to pick out new flooring. I mean, did I mention the vinyl floor was ugly? Cut to me in full force kitchen renovation. We are having a baby in a month? Who cares! They said the counter top will be her in 3 weeks! Mold? A little mold is good for you! We really need new hardware on these cabinets and lets just tile the bathrooms while we're at it. Cost of labor? Oh no worries, Ryan's handy. Right? Well, we'll see. He doesn't exactly share my enthusiasm since he is going to be doing most of the work himself (with some help from my brother). But whatever, I'm getting a new floor!


No comments:
Post a Comment