1.31.2013

What's Mine is Yours?

Before I tell you this story, you have to know a few things about my husband, Ryan, and maybe you should know a few things about me, too.

First, throughout his life Ryan has been involved with all manner of ag business. Farm labor, hogs/cattle, ag lending, selling seed, crop insurance, etc. He currently sells crop insurance. Second, he is the breadwinner in this house. Sure, he earns the title by default as he is the only person working, but still, the title is his. Next, lets see ... how do I put this nicely? He's tight? He's a penny pincher? A Dollar Menu kinda guy? Like a little birdie - cheap, cheap? Love you, Ry, but you know it's true.

My turn. First, what little I know about agriculture, Ryan taught me. Well, mostly Ryan. Second, I love staying at home with the kids. However, not yet having a career of my own irks me at times. Finally, I am not a Dollar Menu kinda girl. I am a "Ooooh I can't decide I'll just get one of everything" kinda girl.

So, that should provide more than enough background for my story. My true story. A cautionary tale for husbands. Listen closely, or you could end up working for your wife. Just. Like. Ryan. That's right, Ry. YOU WORK FOR ME NOW! I'm only kidding. All stories need drama, right? Ok, ok, on with it.

A couple years ago Ryan began looking into turkey barns. The more he researched the more it seemed to be a good investment. So, he tried to get some of his family's land approved to put one up. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. He tossed around different options, but nothing came about until recently. He (and I, I guess) partnered with a family friend and got approved to put up our very own turkey barn. Yes, turkeys. As in, gobble gobble. Basically, we care for the turkeys until they are full size. Then they are transported to the giant Turkeyland in the sky.

Now, here is the good part, or so I'm told. We get the turkey poo. Fabulous, right? If you're thinking what I was thinking when Ryan told me this, it's probably along the lines of, "Uh ... that's um ... that's great." Well, it turns out it is great. Apparently turkey poo is in high demand. It does wonders for farmers' fields. In fact, Jack and the Giant Beanstalk's magic beans were actually little turkey poo's.

Just kidding.

So, back to the story. Ryan's place of employment is also where we need to get our loan.

"Well, gee," they said, "I think that's a conflict of interest" they said.

They wouldn't loan Ryan the money for our amazing turkey barns. Ryan was upset. But, don't worry, he did not put in his time and hard work for naught. Turns out, he did it for me. They would approve our loan as long as his name wasn't involved. Just mine.

That's right. It's mine. ALL MINE! Mwahahahahahahahaha.

Just kidding. I have no desire to be the Queen of Turkey Poo. However, most decisions require my big, fat signature which never gets old:

Ryan:  Katie, I need you to sign this.
Me:  I don't want to! Stop pestering me!
Ryan:  Kate, I need to get it in the mail.
Me:  Why don't you sign it?
Ryan:  Please?
Me:  I'll do it after you clean the kitchen and bathe the kids. 

Ahhh, we are just getting started and I can already tell it's going to be SO much fun ;)

No comments: