Can you tell he was excited? Honestly, he had mixed emotions but in the end he went without tears and he is excited to go back again tomorrow. Bode is not yet 3, so this is a big deal! I am so proud :)
Bode wasn't the only one starting today. Chloe had her first day of preschool as well. She loves school.
And then, of course, there are the "big" kids. Caden and Ali actually started last week. Caden is in fourth grade and Ali is in Kindergarten.
"Caden, I am going to keep taking pictures until you smile."
Looks painful.
Ali did Optional Kindergarten last year, and they gave us the choice regarding moving on to First Grade or Kindergarten. We went with Kindergarten, so she won't be so young when we send her off to college.
***************************
Speaking of Ali's age, she just had a birthday! That's right, our little character turned 6 on July 31st. I wanted to do something special for her, so we went on a Mommy/Ali day.
She picked Burger King for lunch! Tre fab. We went shopping for school clothes and swam at the pool.
After which she got her nails done.
She picked red, because it was her favorite color that day. We also stopped at the store, so we could get everything on her supper menu. Ya know, hot dogs, Ramen noodles and fruit salad.
Ali specializes in putting together fruit salads :)
Later on, we gave her our gift. She had been asking and asking for a guitar. Because she is a rock star. Obviously.
And of course, we had a big party with some fam!
Ali loves Ninja Turtles! So, we went for it :)
I'll take 500 Cheetos, please.
Happy Birthday, Gracer! We love you.
*****************
Caden's summer vacation started out kinda rough. On Memorial Day weekend he got a toothache. It got worse and worse, so by Tuesday he looked like this:
Swollen! I took him in right away. Turns out, a tooth he had chipped months ago was damaged worse than we realized. An infection had developed in the root of his front, right tooth. He needed a root canal. Obviously, it was a painful experience for him but he was amazingly tough. When it was all over he kept thanking me for taking him in! Such a sweetheart.
Anyway, baseball had just begun so this ordeal caused him to miss some practice. He was also on the younger side of a 4th/5th grade team. So, I suppose what I am trying to say is Ryan and I thought the season started out kind of slow.
But, Caden didn't think so. He was having a blast. The team was winning. He looked up to the older boys who could hit and pitch so well. He kept trying, even though he kept striking out. He liked playing outfield and didn't seem to mind hitting toward the end of the line-up.
So, we kept our mouths shut and our son had the most memorable sports season of his life. He got SO much better every day. Ryan worked with him, his coaches worked with him, and Caden was having so much fun I don't think he realized the improvement even happened.
By the last game of the season, his team was undefeated and playing in the final play-off game for 1st place. He was doing a great job in the outfield. Caden had worked his way to the front half of the batting line-up. It was early in the game when two of Caden's teammates had great hits. We had a lot of momentum going and Caden was up to bat.
Home. Run.
Generally, I like to keep my cool but I couldn't in that moment. What can I say? I was just SO happy and proud.
**********************
Caden wasn't the only one playing baseball in June. Ali Grace had her first year of teeball!
Ryan coached. I helped a little. She had a fun time learning a bit about the game and did really well paying attention, which is more than I can say for most some of her teammates. Ryan and I exercised levels of patience we didn't know we had.
**********************
Next up is football. Real, tackle football. Ryan is coaching Caden's team and they are in preseason practice mode. Lots of testosterone and meat-headedness around the house these days.
Bode even wants in on it!
I'll keep you posted!
-Katie
No comments:
Post a Comment